Beaker, Our Third Crew Member, ( ie. Windvane Work)

 We named our Monitor Windvane “Beaker”. The resemblance to our vane and the muppet is striking šŸ™‚

The shape of our vane, it catches the wind which helps steer the boat

 

 

See?  they could be twins šŸ™‚

 I will paint a cute beaker face on our vane when I get the chance……

 

Yesterday, I spliced some new control lines. Old set up, yucky line.

 

I used HMPE for the helm side of the control lines. The top splice is a modified bury with a brummel thrown in. I stitched the throat too. The bottom splice is a long bury with a sweet sweet taper, stitched and whipped throat. No reason for the difference, just playing around. These lines will not see high loads. I used HMPE for the cheafe resistance.

 

Now I’m thinking instead of tying off like this, maybe splice eyes in the braid in order to put a soft shackle between the two lines


Maybe a really stiff bungee shackle between the two lines. This could also absorb some shock loads since the lines are all low stretch. Also this would allow a quick “on” and “off” attachment.

 

Ok, so that’s the Update on Beaker’s new control lines. Still more tinkering to do.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s