Drainage Canal, Part Two:

Well, I have few pictures for this post. It was either too dark or we were too busy to pick up the camera. We anchored in Charenton Drainage Canal last night. It wasn’t our first choice, we wanted to make Wax Lake Anchorage. But the currents were very unfavorable and we had a late start to begin with. So, the drainage canal it was. At the advice of Waterway Guide we anchored about a 1/2 mile up the canal. We anchored along the bank on the east side and put out a stern anchor to keep from swinging into the channel. We hung every white light we owned to light up the deck and cockpit, and it was a nice full moon. Brian hooked up the Vesper AIS while I installed the rail mounted antennae. So now all commercial traffic can see us. Feeling that we have done all we can do, we retired for the night. Actually Brian went to sleep. I’m too jumpy at anchorages like this to get any sleep. I kept vigil with the hand held VHF, Spotlight, and horn . Well, at 11:30 a tug came rather close. I flashed my spotlight onto our mast and gave him a call. He stated that we did not show up on his AIS and that he nearly didn’t see me. This set off my spidysenses that have been very unhappy with this anchorage. He also said that he was going to be working all night picking up empties from the ICW and stacking them on the canal shore. I promptly offered to move, which he thanked me kindly:mrgreen:. He pointed, with his great monster spotlight beam, a spot up the canal. He said no tugs go there! So I woke my hubby up, and gave him the news that we had to move. We got the engine going, anchors up, and began to thread our way through the massive onslaught of hyacinths floating quickly with the currents down the canal. Brian spotted at the bow and relayed instructions through our walky-talkies. Many times though we just had to push through the thick line of floating vegetation. Anyways, we found the spot the tug suggested…….


No wonder no tugs come over here!!

 So we moved farther up the canal and anchored on the West Bank, about 40 feet from shore, with a stern anchor to keep us from swinging out into the canal. Even though we were in a good safe spot, I stayed up most of the night to make sure the work boats did not come near. By 6 am both Brian and I were ready to blow this joint! We prepped the boat for departure, noticing the 1/2 inch thick ice that covered the boat!!!! (one more) ! It was so cold! But that just motivated us more to get on the road, get to blue warm water. We were back on the ICW by 6:45. This early start allowed us to bypass Morgan City and make the ten hour run to Houma.

We have asked a couple other tow boats who have all said that they can see us on AIS, so not sure why the tow boat at the anchorage wasn’t picking us up. My wonderful husband installed the Vesper he got from Santa Claus at anchor. It is too cool. No more straining to read the name of the vessel you want to contact. Plus, there are quite a few blind curves here in Louisiana, though not fool proof, it does give us an edge. 

My contribution, I installed the antennae:). We still need to properly run the wires, but this is great for now.

 More to come…


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s