[Note: This post has been updated with the final project pictures now that we are done!]
We ordered new Bomar Hatches for Rain Dog. The original hatches are falling apart. The new hatches are beautiful, and we got them at a great price, $400 off each hatch!!
After removing the forward hatch and attempting to install the new hatch, we realized the new hatch does not fit…
So I will, sniff sniff, return new hatches and we will simply rebuild the old hatches..sigh.
Here are some pics of the forward hatch removal. It took an hour or two. We used sharp putty knives to cut the bedding which seemed to be 5200. We then pried up at all four corners.
Steps For Rebuilding Bomar Series 100 Hatches
Step 1) remove old hatches~~done
Step 2) clean Fiberglass surface of all old bedding material, looks like a mixture of butyl and 5200. Epoxy core, filler where needed.
Step 3) strip hatch of all removable Parts, including hinges, to prepare for sandblast and new powder coat finish.~~~done
Step 4) sandblast and powder coat hatch~~~done
Step 5) have new lexan cut, and re glaze.~~~done
Step 6) install new Harware, dogs and risers with Tef-gel coating ~~Done
Step 7) rebed hatches with Butyl. ~~Done
Step 8) install hardwood trim ring around interior hatch opening~still in progress! I need to epoxy and paint the trim Brian fit for the fwd hatch. I may have to patch the headliner too.
We have the hatches back from the powder coating company, $40 per hatch ( done by Protective Powder Coatings in Corpus Christi) looks beautiful!!!! The first set of lexan we had cut came out terrible, poorly cut and some scratches in the lexan($80 done by Austin Plastics and supply). So, second pair of lexan was done by Regal Plastics in Houston, great job, no scratches 🙂 ($102).
All bomar parts were bought at iboats.com ($485). This includes 4 (part# p100-00) arms, 4 (part# p100-09) dogs, and 2rolls of Gasket material ( several part# for same product p100-53, p100-51, p100-52, p3000-20, p3000-21, p3000-22)
**Don’t forget the Tef-gel. It helps decrease the corrosive reaction between the stainless and aluminium parts
I have the newly painted hatch all taped up, almost ready to glaze. The lexan is just taped in place to get a feel for what kind of edge gap we are looking at.
Here is the hatch after glazing, still wet. Hubby helped me caulk as I faired and then we removed tape. Came out kinda clean, have some goofs here and there but comsmetic. Pay no attention to the acetone can in the picture I used isopropyl alcohol for prep. I used gloves whenever I handled the newly painted hatch or lexan, so the surface was fairly clean.
New hatch parts installed with a coating of Tef-Gel to help decrease corrosion between the different metals ( aluminium, stainless steel), gasket installed, bedded with butyl 🙂
Still need to patch headliner and install a trim ring around the forward rebuilt Hatch. So far, and we have had a lot of rain, everything is dry.